Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Wolves in Yellowstone
Was flying to Chicago this weekend and read on the plane about this conservation group in Minnesota that was monitoring and preserving wolves. It was a good piece of luck, considering I had just showed the National Geographic movie Wolves: A Legend Returns to Yellowstone. The movie discusses the reintegration of a wolf pack into Yellowstone park and also discusses conservation management techniques and radio telemetry used to monitor the wolves. Searching blogs and discussion groups on the internet shows that it is still a topic of heated debate between local ranchers, environmentalists, park officials, and eco-tourism businesses.
1. Discuss one pro and one con of reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone from one of the following perspectives (rancher, environmentalists, park ranger, eco-tourism owner).
2. Discuss the steps environmentalists take to ensure the successful reintroduction of wolves.
3. Explain how radio telementry can be used to monitor wolves.
4. Discuss what data can be obtained from such a monitoring system.
5. What dangers to the wolves face (human, climate, predators, other wolves)?
Track Wild Wolves - http://www.wolf.org/wolves/experience/telemsearch/vtelem/telem_intro.asp
Wolves of Yellowstone - http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/wolves
Yellowstone Bearman - http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/wolves.html
Wolf Ecotourism Fact Sheet - http://www.biodiversitypartners.org/econ/report/ecotourism_fs.shtml